|
Saturday, March 14, 2009
SS Email To Cousin About The Trip To Old Fort Factory & Bukit Chandu
Hi! How are you doing? I heard from Mum that you are going to the Old Ford Factory and Bukit Chandu. Let me share my experience with you as I went to the two places a few weeks ago for a learning journey. It was the 25th of February when I went to the two places with my friends as a class. At around 8a.m., a bus came and took us to our first destination, the Old Ford Factory, also the Japanese Headquarters during World War II. Once we reached there, we were greeted by a friendly guide called Mr Lau. He first told us about the history of the Old Ford Factory and it used to be 8 times bigger! It was also the first car assembly plant in Southeast Asia. He then led us to an auditorium to watch a clip about World War II. I did not really liked that clip as some of the scenes were quite disgusting. I remembered one scene that the Japanese killed the civilians and their blood splattered around. Then they were left on the floor. Lots of flies settled on the dying bodies. It was not a nice sight. After the clip ended, Mr Lau brought us to see the exhibits in the main hall. He also explained how the people were treated by the Japanese during those days, what they ate, what terrible diseases the people caught and much more. Later, he led us to a meeting room, the exact place where the British surrendered Singapore to the Japanese. After that, he took us to the garden where crops that were grown during the World War II grow and it was one of the things I liked most. There were tapioca, banana, rice, lallang and much more! We even walked on planks of wood that were taken from the Death Railway in Thailand! When we finished seeing the crops, it was time to say goodbye. We went up the bus and off we go to our second destination, Bukit Chandu.When we reached there, we were greeted by another guide called Mr Ho. He led us into a small room with some artifacts and started to explain what memorable event took place there. This was the place where the fiercest fighting took place in Singapore. The Malay Regiment fought bravely against the Japanese. After Mr Ho finished his speech, we were led into a slightly bigger room where we are suppose to watch a video of the Malay Regiment fighting the Japanese. It was expressed in a cartoon form. After we watched the video, we went to the main hall and Mr Ho explained how the Japanese planned their attack. After he finished, there was still time left so he brought us to the Treetop Walk. The scenery was breathtaking! This was another thing that I liked most. After that, we waved goodbye to the guide and boarded the bus to go back to school. During the journey back to school, I did a little reflection on what I learnt during this trip. I have gained so much knowledge about World War II! Just then, I thought of one of the NE messages of Singapore: We must ourselves defend Singapore. We are proud to defend Singapore ourselves, no one else is responsible for our security and well being. I think it makes sense. We should not have relied on the British to defend Singapore. We should ourselves defend Singapore! Cassie, I hope you will have a great time when you go to Old Ford Factory and Bukit Chandu! Yours Sincerely, Jing Qi JQ [unheard.whispers] 4:56 PM |
calling.for.you Name : JQ recent.calls Reading forgotten.past January 2009 friends Ms Lee thank.you blogger waiting {kairi}, designed by Clone, only at BlogSkins |
